The Guntersville Historical Society
The Guntersville Historical Society was created in 1974 by several civic minded citizens. The organization (See By-Laws) was formed to establish and preserve historical buildings and monuments, preserve historical documents and records, and to publish books and articles about the area. Among those involved with the founding of the organization were Dr. James Horton, president; Mary Julia Ross Morton, vice president; Elaine Boggus, secretary; and Wright Ross Sr., treasurer.
There were 81 charter members. Today the organization has grown to over 200 people, making it one of the largest clubs in Guntersville. In 2000 the Guntersville Historical Society received the Alabama Historical Society’s top award for its preservation activities.
Meetings are usually held on the second Sunday of every other month at various locations. Interesting speakers provide programs on topics ranging from archaeology to old photographs of the area. Noted authors are frequent speakers and all meetings are open and free to the public. Newsletters are published just prior to meetings and contain information about the history of the area.
Two trips are sponsored each year, one generally in the spring and one in the fall. Past trips have been taken to New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, Nashville, Chattanooga, and several places in the South.
The historical society maintains three buildings, the Colonel Montgomery Gilbreath House (ca 1858) at 353 Blount Avenue, which serves as the home of the historical society; the Culbert Log Cabin (ca 1835) and the railroad depot (1892) in South Guntersville